Thread: Enthusiast Edition Number 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Enthusiast Edition Number 2 
    Blog Entries
    Now that the guns are all on their way to their respective owners, time to discuss #2.

This one will change a bit in execution. We will order 15 guns from Colt, with one gun given to a purple heart Marine nominated, and selected by committee (the Round 1 buyers). In addition to that, $100 of each pistol will be given to WWF. This will be a "zero profit" gun, like the last one. In other words, what Colt Custom Shop bills us is what they go out at to you guys, plus the $100 and $35 in shipping (the actual shipping cost on these).

So to get the discussion going, I'll suggest we do a duplicate of this years gun, only in Commander version.

So:
    Blued S70 Commander in 45ACP
    S&A Bump Grip Safety
    Harrison Retro Rear Sight
    Novak Gold Bead Front Sight
    Spare Extractor
    Medium Harrison Solid Trigger
    Serrated front strap
    6 Tuned Mags
    Novak Single Side Thumb Safety
    S&A Checkered MSH w/ Loop
    Edges Stoned - NOT BEVELED
    NM Barrel, Lapped Fit, with 6 o'clock dimple - Alternatives needed if NM barrel is not an option
    EGW Thin BBL Bushing
    Slide to Frame fit should be "IPSC" fit
    Old style Commander rollmarks ("Pony in the back" on the left, "Colt Combat Commander" on the right/ejection side)
    Std ejection port

By no means is this anything other than just a starting point. I think it would be a very good companion to the Run 1 guns though.

Thoughts?
    The 1911 design remains to this day the finest fighting handgun the world has ever known - Ed Brown.
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

Barrel is an option...it comes on the Wiley Clapp. A Commander though???

Blog Entries
    Just tossing it out there. I did a little math, my 5" guns number my Commanders by a ratio of 37 to 0.

Just sayin'
    The 1911 design remains to this day the finest fighting handgun the world has ever known - Ed Brown.
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

LOL!

How about the adj rear match type gun.....and still run the original variant?

Blog Entries
    I hear you on that.

When you get yours in hand, we can talk match guns. I was more inclined to that until I ran a grand through mine. I'm in a combat/carry mood right now.
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

LOL! I hear ya! A great 1911 does it all!

I can only respond selfishly, from the perspective of my own battery. I have a 5" .45 GM, a .38S LWC, a .45 LWC, and a .45 CCO. I sort of have a 9x19 hole, and a 9x19 Combat Commander would be a hoot. I think, however, that I'd rather have a 'perfected' Delta Elite -- serrations, match barrel, and maybe a 'retro' ducktail a' la' YoBo.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, Yo-Bo was a fantastic shop, as was the 1* package.

A 9x19 CC would be interesting. Though, I have a serious love for DEs.
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

This sounds like an awesome package; i've been debating getting a companion for my 5" and i'm taking this as an omen. I'm in.

As far as the specifics, what's the deal with the lanyard loop? I'm not inherently opposed to it, but it would be an odd feature to include on a compact piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Yeah, Yo-Bo was a fantastic shop, as was the 1* package.

A 9x19 CC would be interesting. Though, I have a serious love for DEs.
    Is the DE an option? I've been fixated on them for years, but never ponied up for one. Hell, i was on gun broker today thinking about picking one up. I can 100% get behind a custom DE package.

Blog Entries
    JT - nothing is off the table right now. And Plexi and I have a real thing about the Deltas.

Just a thought - Colt had advertised a, and correct me if I have it wrong, 0202XSE. Was as Delta w/ a bull barrel built in the Custom Shop. I've got one being built right now. They are using a Barsto barrel. Some good, dark cocobolo grips w/ the DE medallions, a match barrel, and so on, would be something I could get behind real easy.

Plexi - what's your thoughts on a DE?
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

Would love another in carbon, Cerakoted, no bull barrel, configured like the 1st gun

Registered User, Wounded Warrior Supporter Super38's Avatar
    I like the Combat Commander duplicate, I could get behind that in pretty much any 1911 caliber (How about 9mm and Super barrels). We could ion bond the whole thing (trigger and all) too......

Delta would be fine too, ruin it with a bull barrel or checkered front strap and I'm out though......

Quote Originally Posted by Super38 View Post
    Delta would be fine too, ruin it with a bull barrel or checkered front strap and I'm out though......

Exactly.

Blog Entries
    How about 8 in the current model, and 7 in the Commander version?

I am thinking we should stick with the current platform - it's really nice, and is dead sexy. IMO, it's what JMB would be making right now. Everything you need, nothing you don't. Plus, it keeps it more in keeping with the "mil-spec" fashion.
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

I can get down with that. I'd be in for a commander.

I would be in for a commander too, I'd prefer a long Harrison trigger... I'm fact I'd say make them exactly like the first 10 except commanders (obviously with the correct roll marks for a commander) for consistency. Make mine the same serial number as my Government...

As I said in E-Mail if I was going to change something it would be the barrel bushing...

Blog Entries
    I'm not opposed to that at all.
    That's 3 commanders.
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

As much as I love the Commander idea. I always get rid of them. I'd be more serious for a 5". Just need to start getting funds together again.

Blog Entries
    Wait till you get yours. I'm pissed at myself for giving into Super38's begging. I'd have 5 of them now.

The gun is just "right." When I was verifying/recording the serial numbers, I took note that each and every gun had exactly the same slide to frame fit. The same barrel fit. And the same beavertail fit. It's just fit perfectly for a carry gun. And it's refreshing to see a 1911 that didnt lose a battle with a belt sander for a change.

#9 was picked up in person out on our farm - very well received. And she went to a good home - thanks again Sgt. Enjoy that gun.

BTW - I'm holding #4 right now. The bluing is just perfect. Absolutely perfect. And fairly robust. It's seen about 500 practice presentations so far, and only a nice faint line of bluing has worn off. Colt bluing is magical.

I gotta say, I'm really liking the idea of 8 5" guns and 7 Commanders. The selected Marine will get a 5" gun.
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

That doesn't seem very nice, I thought we were buddies... ;)

Blog Entries
    HAHA!

Just checking to see if you're still here.....sorta
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

The more I think about it the more I want the Commander...

Super38, what bushing would you like to see?

Also, what about the lanyard loop on the commanders? Other than that, i'm completely fine with the rest of the build. Very solid "retro"-ish build that i wouldn't mind toting around.

Last, what's the deal with the Marine selection and presentation? I would be very keen on attending if it could be worked into my schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thujone View Post
    Super38, what bushing would you like to see?

Also, what about the lanyard loop on the commanders?
    I would like the EGW "Thin" or "GI" bushing (the difference in those 2 is the lower corners) and to either delete the serial number from it, or put the entire serial number in a fashion similar to the bushings with the NM number on them. SEE: Example

I'm O.K. with the lanyard loop on a Commander but if not that is O.K. too, I think the Brown MSHings are a little nicer than S&A so that is an option if we go sans loop.

I'm still fine with no changes except the roll marks for a Commander. (same goes for a Delta just like edition 1 (ion bond to make it black))
    Last edited by Super38; 05-27-2012 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Link