Thread: Enthusiast Edition Number 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    I'm thinking no external loop on the Commander. We'll use one of the internal guys like this: http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/...essories.shtml

Would be in keeping with the use I think.

JT - sure thing. We still have to nominate the guy though. Looking for an enlisted Marine, wounded in action, and an enthusiastic shooter. If you know someone, pipe up. Goal is to raise $2k for WWF and "take the edge off" for a Marine who got hurt with a gift Colt.

Bill
    The 1911 design remains to this day the finest fighting handgun the world has ever known - Ed Brown.
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

What is it with you people and your short stroke NON-1911 pistols?

I'm good with offering a Commander in steel but how about one in the material it originally was released in?( Well, modern material that is ) 25 OZ Unloaded, 35ish loaded makes for a nice package. Just throwing it out there....I'm too partial to the full size to buy one.

I worked with this cat: Jesse Fletcher. One of the best kids i've ever known. He was one of the PIGs with the STA team who was helping me and my team out during a particularly bad time my last deployment. (I was involved in Operation Moshtarak, for those that keep up with this sorta thing.) He went on to graduate Scout/Sniper after that, becoming a sniper. Last year while on deployment (Back to the same general AO, oddly enough.), he was investigating a weapons cache that ended up being booby trapped, and lost both legs, and parts of his left hand. Kid's a trooper though, and i'd love to nominate him for something like this.

I'm completely fine with an internal lanyard loop.

Let's talk finishes. I've seen cerakote brought up a couple times? I'd much prefer this over bluing.

Blog Entries
    JT - that is EXACTLY the type of guy we are looking for. Though it kinda makes giving a few grand and a gun to the cause seem a bit lacking.

On finishes - I'm a bluing guy. No one does it better than Colt. However, Brandon (the Cerakote product manager at NIC) is also a forum member and may have a suggestion too. BTW - Cerakote ponied up some serious coin for WW when this forum started. That said, I'm only one vote. I move we vote on platform(s) first, then details including finish.

So to kick that off -

One vote for 8 1911s and 7 Commanders of the current platform/spec.
    The 1911 design remains to this day the finest fighting handgun the world has ever known - Ed Brown.
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

Roger that.

Seconded.

Heard third and I would also like a gun to go to Jesse.

Blog Entries
    So Jesse and Platform are finalized. 8 and 7.

Full size 1911 is same spec, serial number range CGCEE011 through 018. Commander, same specs except short Harrison trigger and Guncrafter MSH.

Good, solid, classic guns. Jesse will get CGCEE018 unless otherwise described. Details of gifting need to be ironed out. I will pick up the gift tax if necessary.

So the list starts:
    Commanders: Bill (2 guns), Johnny
    1911: Jesse

Pass along info to people you think appropriate.

We need a 50% deposit to get Colt working. Last time it was $900 per gun. I don't expect it to change this time. This represents enough to cover the gun, shipping, and $150 to WWF.
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

What's the time frame that we're looking at?

As far as additional buyers, i might know some cats. Sending out some emails.

Blog Entries
    Brent will chime in on time frame. I'm guessing 9 months to delivery.

We will need to coordinate with a FFL for Jesse.
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

On it.

Registered User, Wounded Warrior Supporter Super38's Avatar
    I guess I am out, cerakote is a deal breaker for me. I dislike short triggers and I'm not crazy about the guncrafter MSH, ruins the vibe for me...

I don't think this will vote for CeraKote...The Commander should be exactly the same though I can not see a lanyard loop hanging off the bottom, integral would be more the fit for carry but whatever, I'm a gov't model dude.

Blog Entries
    Not going to be Cerakoted.

On the MSH for the Commander - how about a std. serrated one? That is my second choice. But details need to be fixed. I dont think they should deviate too much from the first run guns.
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

If it is blued or ion bond I'll be in if Brent will fit me an extra trigger and MSH, I'll pay extra...

I'm fine with no lanyard loop, but the guncrafter is too modern looking to my eye it does not fit with retro...

Blog Entries
    I like blued and std serrated.

I just looked at the specs - they should have read "Long Harrison Trigger" - one of the specs at the beginning was a medium trigger.

I dont think we should lose sight of the intent - an immaculately built "minimalist" gun with a distinct "retro" style. Don't want to change that.
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

Quote Originally Posted by Super38 View Post

I'm fine with no lanyard loop, but the guncrafter is too modern looking to my eye it does not fit with retro...
    It's not supposed to be retro, it's supposed to be functional.

I'm switching mine to the Guncrafter so I can minimize print and still use the loop. I voted against the S/A MSH the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    I like blued and std serrated.

I just looked at the specs - they should have read "Long Harrison Trigger" - one of the specs at the beginning was a medium trigger.

I dont think we should lose sight of the intent - an immaculately built "minimalist" gun with a distinct "retro" style. Don't want to change that.
    Perfect!

Oh, and I just saw the thread in the Colt Forum, how about the Wiley Clapp roll mark, the one with the stars next to *model*.
    Last edited by Super38; 05-28-2012 at 05:19 AM.

The Wiley Clapp roll mark looks AWESOME. I can get behind that!

Blog Entries
    Good by me.
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

Is it too late to put in a vote to omit the lanyard loop?

Blog Entries
    Not at all. You are referring to the 5" gun, or Commander?
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

Blog Entries
    Ok guys. Here's the deal. I suggest we make one mod to the 5" gun - no loop. We use a std straight checkered S&A MSH. Keep the rest the same.

On the Commander - we can have whatever rollmarks we like. But if we want it S70, we have to use the Wiley Clapp slide - which means we are stuck with FCS OR we use a S80 slide with a S70 frame. Which do you guys want to do?
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

Blog Entries
    Also, I'd like to note another point. When the gun was spec'd, we chose the GI port and GI ejector to minimize stress/wear on the extractor. Extended ejectors (which necessitate lowered/flared ports) put considerably more force/strain on the extractor. This was a carefully weighted decision, and greater durability won out. Does everyone know the ramifications of having a GI port/ejector in terms of dented brass, etc?
    Bill's Training Blog
    www.blackfireeng.com

Also, if I may, these are combat gun builds. "Combat" in terms of specification generally means "simple, effective and durable." This gun is not a Les Baer, it is not a Wilson or any other brand. This is a combat Colt build meant to work pretty much anywhere on the planet with any ammo all while looking classic and tasteful. You will not find a tight slide to frame fit or anything that may inhibit this gun from running when you need it most. Overly tight, tolerance stacking problems were something we looked to avoid with this gun because it is not simple for the end user to maintain...again, simple. Please, please, please, keep that in mind as you make your decision. This a bare knuckled bruiser that happens to look nice.